Saturday, April 9, 2011

"Drink, my pretty, drink!"























...or was the line actually "Eat, my pretty, eat"??

Perhaps it was, since there was an apple involved.

Regardless, "drink, my pretty, drink," works just as well. After all, I could be offering a love potion (or a poison cocktail!).

Today, I urge all of the lovely lovelies in the garden to drink. Go ahead, my pretties, drink. Drink much and drink well!

(So what if I am a pusher or, as some think, an alcoholic?! Really people. Stick to what's important here: the garden.)


I ventured out in the wee hours of yesterday morning to give a few transplanted plants a bout of fertilizer liquid. It was drizzling already. Yet, under the influence of 2.5 hours of work (already at 7 a.m.!), I needed the garden walk. And, already moistening, I blurted aloud, "'April is the cruelest month', my a--, and in with 'April showers bring may flowers.' Look at this wonderland!"

No matter how much the gardener waters, rainwater does something no amount of tap water (or even harvested rain water) can do: it makes things flourish and look stunning. Varied shades of green appear richer, more enlivened, more vibrant (perhaps because leaves are washed of their dust and pollen). Flowers burst forth. Growth can almost be seen as a verb in action, not as a noun which arrests in stagnation.



Later in the day I had to venture out in a stiff rain to take photos of the early April garden: a study in rain. Enjoy!
 

The Japanese Hakuro-nishiki Dappled Willow to the left of the Obsidian Heuchera; once the Dappled Willow begins to fill in and grow (it is a dwarf varietal and so will only top 4 feet in height and width), I am certain this will become a favorite garden vignette 


Brunnera, stripped of many clumps of sky-blue flowers by the steady rain; notice the mushroom-like tops of the Mayapples emerging!



White feather hostas emerging against the backdrop of Pennsylvania red shale



It's a bird haven! Berries galore! The purple clumps of berries on the Mahonia (Leatherleaf Grape Holly) provide a nice contrast to the red berries of Nandina). Don't forget the birds when gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment